Friday, August 18, 2006

Getting Into The Grove

Lou and Dawn were off early for a doctor's appointment.


When I finally got moving I responded to the pressures of watching TV and went out to lunch at Carl's Junior for a Pastrami Berger. Good sandwich, bad reason to go. Oh well, 50/50's not too bad.


I got a replacement small inverter for the satellite system. The existing one failed to maintain proper voltage, just like it's predecessor. I hope this isn't a regular occurrence. Fry's Electronics had a nice 400 watt for $39.


On way out of Fry's, I visited a construction site next door. I spoke with a worried engineer looking over the hole in the ground where a parking garage/swimming pool is being built. It will be two underground parking levels and a swimming pool on top, adjacent to a fitness center that's is about to open. There are few basements around here probably due to the water table being so high. However, this water is industrially contaminated and can't be pumped into the storm sewer. With their permits and treating, they can't get ahead of incoming water so they are stopped about three feet short of the depth the hole needs to be. Problems problems. I got so involved, I started to walk home, which I normally do. I had driven over. I only got a couple of blocks away before remembering. It would be embarrassing to be ready to leave the house and not have a car. It will happen.


Anyway, the inverter went in easily even though it was a slightly different configuration. This inverter is used to provide constant power from the batteries for the Datastorm satellite system. When the previous inverters failed, the power was changed to utility power or generator or the main inverter. This causes the system to loose connection when power transfers occur. The separate inverter allows uninterruptible power. See the Electrical System and the Satellite System articles for more information.


Next project, washing the RV and car. Seems like sea gulls and pelicans would be more polite. Maybe tomorrow will be more productive?


It is nice to be home. The yard is in good shape having survived the high temperatures while we were gone. Now I do have to get back in gear and do some more concrete work and other repairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment