Monday, April 10, 2006

New Camera

Nikon Coolpix S4
Dawn needed to borrow my Digital camera for her project for the history park so that was enough of an excuse for me to get a new camera. I really wanted a camera that could take good pictures, had a good zoom lens, could take macro pictures and could shoot video. There are not too many choices that can do all that. I had a final requirement. I didn't want a monster camera. It had to be small. It turns out there was really only one camera that met all these requirements, the Nikon Coolpix S4.
It's a 6 Megapixel camera with a 10x optical zoom lens. It's small, 4.4w 2.7h 1.4d inches It uses SD memory like my other camera. Uses AA batteries so batteries will never be a problem to find. It rides nicely in the belt holster. I got a 4Gig memory card for it. The batteries will be discharged long before the memory is full. It should take 2656 full resolution pictures. Of course, there is always an of course, it only counts up to 999 on the available image display so after 1657 pictures are taken there will only be 998 more. That's cutting it close! Actually, the memory is for video, 1.8 hours of it. So, a serious day of shooting can be done including pictures and video with only the worry of the occasional battery change, 6 or 7 sets of alkaline batteries, less often with good lithium batteries. The camera can be operated in simpleton mode, my favorite, or scene mode can be used to tailor it to the object of the photo. It can't be used fully manually, and that's a good thing for us simpletons.
And, one of my most important criteria was met as well. It didn't cost much either.

No comments:

Post a Comment