Thursday, September 28, 2006

Another Diversion

Thursday:

Well, I thought I'd just be cleaning up and getting ready to go, but, of course, another diversion arose. Before we left on our summer trip, I installed a drain pipe across the front yard. At the same time, I broke out some concrete (an old driveway) in the backyard. I finished the front but we had to depart on our adventure and I didn't want to leave a hazard so I patched the rear yard up by setting some bricks in sand. Yesterday, I decided to finish that before we head out this time. The day was spent digging the trench, about 15 feet to receive a 4" drain pipe and some rock for a french drain. Fortunately, since it's an extension at the end, It only needed to be 18" deep. Unfortunately, it still was in our treacherous clay. Most of the day was just digging but I did get the pipe and rock in before I quite for the day.

Friday:

I got up early today, just like back in those horrible days of a job. I dashed off to my old workplace to see a coworker who will be retiring soon. His luncheon will be as we are away so I wanted to see him before I left. The workplace looks the same. It was nice to see everyone else as well.

Since I was in San Jose, I went by Dawn's apartment for some chores. I swept up the remains of the tree trimming debris in the street that was left after the garbage company picked it up. Even though it was mostly just tiny pieces of cedar leaves, it made a big pile. I cleaned up the side yard and added that to the pile. I also cleaned the rain gutters and changed the furnace filter as well. I then went by Sheldon's Hobbies for a new higher voltage battery for the Slo-V RC plane. Should give it more umph.

Wilton Rear Drain Extension Wilton Rear Drain Extension Wilton Rear Drain Extension
On the way home, I picked up 16 bags of sand. That kind of fills the Volvo. When I got home, I backfilled the drain trench and reset the bricks. I also added a few more bricks to eliminate a muddy spot nearby. Sand all gone. Project done, except, that the junk dirt pile is much bigger. Tomorrow, that pile, about a yard of bad clay dirt, goes to the dump with a few other items. Should take at least two loads. If I'm lucky, and I finish, that leaves Sunday to pack.

It's going to be nice to relax soon.

Lou and Dawn have been shopping and banking in prep for our departure. Dawn will be stocked up with the heavy items so she only needs to grab a few items when she goes to the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment