Monday, February 4, 2008

A Windy Ride To Bakersfield

I had breakfast of leftover potatoes, peppers and sausage. I then started to prepare to leave. I lowered the solar panels, parked the Motosat satellite dish, put away my patio mat, and made the inside ready to roll. I had to go over to the fleamarket and get a couple of wire baskets that Lou wanted before I left. On my return trip, I walked by the big top tents. One of the three tents was on the ground and it didn't look like it came down intentionally. Evidently it blew down in yesterdays wind falling on some of the classic cars. I hope they have good insurance.

I left Quartzsite about 10:40 heading North on Highway 95 to Highway 72 at Parker to connect with the other Highway 95 on the California side to go up to Needles to catch Interstate 40 to Barstow. I ran into some heavy wind gusts about 60 miles before Barstow and had then for about 20 miles. The wind then returned to the normal light gusting. I stopped at the Desert Oasis Rest Stop for lunch about 2:30pm. I got gas in Barstow then caught Highway 58.

Coming over the summit at Tehachapi there was snow on the ground but the road was clear. The road had been closed last night due to snow.

I arrived in Bakersfield about 5:50pm Arizona time. I'd better change my clocks. When I arrived at Uncle Doug and Helen's place there were a few relatives there. Don and cousin Judy, aunt Francis and cousin Pam, aunt Mary and cousin Maryjane, and now me.

No comments:

Post a Comment