Monday, September 7, 2009

Finishing Up The Fence

Monday: (09/07) Labor Day? Aren't they all. Dawn fixed some homemade sourdough pancakes and bacon. She got the starter from our neighbor Eric. Lunch was leftover tuna salad and potato salad.

I stripped the forms of the fence base, backfilled around the base, and installed the fence posts and rails for the fence.

Lou fixed BBQ ribs for dinner with bean salad and potato salad.

I had planned a walk-about in San Francisco tomorrow but the extended Bay Bridge closure suggests a better day might be Wednesday. I plan to ride the train up to SF then to walk the Embarcardero to Fishermans Wharf, through Fort Mason, along the marina and through the Presidio to the Gloden Gate Bridge, then through the Presidio along the coast to Golden Gate Park then back toward home via the train. Ernie is going to go with me, sort-of. He'll go to Fisherman's Wharf then make his way to Golden Gate Park and meet me there. With the potential traffic problems I'll probably work on the fence tomorrow instead and head North on Wednesday.

Tuesday: (09/08) Even though they did get the Bay Bridge open this morning only 2 hours late, I had already started work. I made a trip to the hardware store for sand, mortar, concrete and 2x4's. When I got home I reinstalled the green house floor that was removed to install the fence base. Erine and I also grouted the bottom fence rails to seal them.  We then installed most of the fence boards. I then worked on finishing the rails for the fence section around the tree. When we get back to work Thursday the last of the fence boards will be installed and and we'll install the rest of the screws and it should be a fence, again. Quite a diversion form building a shed.

Breakfast "to each their own". I stopped at the Happy Donut for an apple fritter on my way shopping. Lunch was left over dinner from last night. Lou fixed a meal-in-one using the leftover quinoa.

Wednesday: (09/09) Ernie and I left early to catch the train to San Francisco. I haven't had a day off for a while and this is my day off. We were in SF by 9am and stopped at McDonald's for breakfast. We then walked up the Embarcardero to the Fisherman's Wharf looking over everything along the way.

Pier 39, San Francisco Pier 39 Sea Lions, San Francisco
We stopped at Pier 39 to look over the sea lion colony. It was foggy so the views wer not the best.

Fort Mason View Of Golden Gate Bridge Crissy Field View Of Golden Gate Bridge
Ernie wasn't up to one of my treks so I continued on up through Fort Mason, Crissy Field, by the Golden Gate Bridge and along the coast through the Prisidio to Baker Beach. I decided to abbreviated my trek and walked South on 25th Avenue to Golden Gate Park. I enjoyed a walk through thew Strybing Arboretum there and then called Ernie to see what he was doing. He had walk down the "crookedest street", Lombard Street, up to Coit Tower and was sitting down to a late lunch or early dinner in Chinatown. I grabbed some eats as well. I stopped at the Crepevine Restaurant on Irving at 7th Ave near the park. I had their Tuscany savory crepe. It was a crepe with chicken, mushrooms, tomato, provolone cheese, pesto, and sour cream. It included home fries and a green salad. Very good.  I then caught the Light Rail "N" train to meet Ernie at the Caltrain station to head home. We were home by 7pm, much earlier than my usual return but we were both worn out.

Lou and Dawn went down to San Jose in the afternoon. Dawn had a job interview with the County.

Thursday: (09/10) Finished putting the fence boards on and putting all the screws in. Then I cleaned up and put stuff away. Not too much but it filled the day.

Breakfast was cereal and yogurt. Lunch was the quinoa meal-in-one leftovers. Dawn baked some sour dough bread. She got the starter for the dough from our neighbor Eric. Ernie fixed sauerkraut, potatoes, and pork chops and or sausage for dinner.

Friday: (09/11) Breakfast was Don McMuffin sandwiches. I tinkered most of the morning in the office writing letters, paying bills, and  catching up on email. I also reassembled the green house. It uses the fence as the back wall and three feet of the fence are part of what was rebuilt. Lunch was a salad.

Ernie took us to dinner at Cecelia's Mexican Restaurant about a block form home. The food is good and they have coupon's in our local paper.

Saturday: (09/12) First thing today I was watching the morning news and the weather report said lighting, rain and hail today. I went outside and covered my concrete sacks. It had been drizzling but no rain occurred, just some thunder and sprinkles.

Lou fixed breakfast of eggs, pork chops, and toast. The toast was from Dawn's homemade sourdough loaves.

I worked doing more earth moving. I did what I hope was the last of the digging. It took all day but hopefully it's now ready to receive the baserock next week.

Lunch was more of the quinoa meal-in-one leftovers.

For dinner Dawn made sausage soup with kale.

Sunday: (09/13) Ernie fixed French toast using Dawn's sourdough bread. It was served wth eggs and bacon. Lunch was toastados made from the leftovers from our dinner out at Cecilia's the other day.

Completed Fence
The fence is finished, above left. I built the form for the end wall of the remaining raised planter and then Ernie and I poured it. That was all that was accomplished today. After i poured it i got to sit around and watch it dry until the final finishing of the 4"x40" surface. BIG job. Tomorrow we may get busy, if not then then soon thereafter. I'll be ordering a dumpster to be loaded with the dirt I've been digging up and will have the baserock delivered. Hopefully the two don't get in each others way. Pretty soon, our street is going to get busy as the City replaces all the gas lines on our street. They're starting the next street over tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment