Sunday, January 26, 2014

Preparing For Spring?

Sunday: (01/26) We started today like any Saturday, with our weekly shopping run. But today was Sunday? Yesterday’s little trip interfered with our usual habits. It turns out, Sunday may be a better day because there were even less crowds for our just after opening visit. Visits to Walmart’s, Trader Joe’s. Sprout’s Market, Safeway, and Whole Foods completed our shopping task. The last tow stops are unusual. It only took two hours to finish all the hopping.  We started with my breakfast McGriddle sandwich and Lou’s Mocha coffee at McDonald’s in Walmart’s. When we got home, Lou fixed a real breakfast of pancakes and bacon. Yes, unfortunately I enjoyed my second breakfast. I did my laundry and trimmed the berry vines nest to the garden. They run 25 feet along the side yard fence next to the garden and really want to take over. I also turned off all the lawn sprinklers. They were only running for 5 minutes once a week but with our official drought I guess e can say goodbye to a green lawn, unless nature does it’s part and provides the water. No other notable tasks today. Lou made a nice salad for lunch and pot roast for dinner. I headed off toward San Jose about 7PM.



San Jose Paint Job
Monday: (01/27) A hazy morning. I fixed sausage and eggs with toast for breakfast. I got off to my usual slow winter morning start. I don’t seem to get going until 10AM when it’s cold. I started stripping paint under the eves of the North side of the porch. Just before noon I got a call and had to do some paperwork and then go to the Post Office. I finally got back to work about 3pm. I did make a little progress removing paint and may finish the North side eves tomorrow? For lunch I had leftover pot roast. After I cleaned up I went to Chevy’s for dinner having my usual Super Cinco combination platter. Then I went to REI to return the new pair of hiking boots I bought a week or two ago. Same Vasque brand and Breeze style but my usual size was way too small and a larger size fit one foot but not the other. Shouldn’t have changed their source. I tried on some others and they all had the same problems. So I tried a different brand in my usual size and they fit perfectly. I just hope my feet like them as much as they have the Vasques in the past. I almost bought my new sleeping bag but decided to do even more checking first. I have since done that checking and will be getting a Kelty Cosmic Down 20. On the way home I stopped at a Daiso store. They are a Japanese products store. I wanted to pickup some reflective insulation I had heard there. I can use it for insulation for backpacking stuff. Most items at the store are $1.50 each. When i was checking out i noticed some butane liters like Bic lighters. I’ve been trying to buy a couple of Bic lighters for my backpack but haven’t found them sold individually when I’ve thought to look. They were $.50 each at Daiso so I got a couple. When i looked at my receipt at home I noticed it said LED/Lighter and when i checked I found they also had an LED light on the bottom. Killed two birds with that purchase. There was a nice looking oriental market there as well but I forgot to look around at it. I’ll have to do that on a future visit as it looks like a good lunch stop.

Tuesday: (01/28) I spent the day, or much of it anyway, stripping paint from under the eves on the North side of the front of the house. I have now finished 3/4′s of that side and just have the front section to do so I moved my scaffold to the front for tomorrow. I’m afraid the plants in the flower beds may be doomed. Pancakes and sausage for breakfast. A pretty productive day for a winter day. Speaking of winter it looks like we have a storm on it’s way but probably little rain in it. After I cleaned up I walked to the Grocery outlet, our nearest market and picked up a few things. Leftover Chevy’s morsels for lunch with some yogurt. Roast beef with jambalaya rice for dinner.

Wednesday: (01/29) A drizzly misty morning. Just enough for damp sidewalks and a hidden sun. Granola for breakfast. When I finally thought about getting started a little after 10am, it looked like it was still too wet to be able to clan up the debris easily. Since today wasn’t supposed to be wet and tomorrow we are supposed to get our first real rain in over a month, I decided that was enough of a reason to head home. No need to make a big mess. I need dry days to do my work. We all went to LUU Noodle House for lunch. When we took Dawn to an appointment, Lou and I stopped at the car wash and got the Hyundai washed, even though rain is here. It was just soooo dirty! Pasta for dinner.

Thursday: (01/30) Popcorn for breakfast. Dawn had a dentist appointment and Lou had a PT appointment. I had taken the day off due to the forecast of rain and acted as a chauffeur today. Unfortunately for my work progress, it didn’t rain today until late night. After the appointments we had lunch at a Chinese Buffet. Thanks to the buffet being effective, only snacks were needed for dinner. In the evening I ordered my new ultralight backpack and tent. Now I only need a good ultralight  sleeping bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment