Saturday, July 13, 2019

Nelson's Family Campground, East Hampton, CT

Saturday: (07/13) We drove down to the Nelson’s Family Campground to see what it looks like. We liked it so we rented a space for the next six nights using our Passport America membership discount so 5 nights are half price. That definitely pays off the membership cost. We shopped around some on the way home looking for a protective screen for my phone and a new computer for Dawn. Lou made sausage eggs and potatoes for breakfast. Brunch at the Spicy Green Bean Restaurant. Leftover mac and cheese with wiener for dinner.
(GPS: 41.609983, -72.514198)

Sunday: (07/14) We relaxed at home all day. Chatted with neighbors. Learned of a big event at the campsite across from us last night. We heard nothing so this is all hearsay. Our neighbor campers in two spaces across from us had a fight that ended up involving the police, an arrest, a broken arm and an eviction. I did do a small mod to the kitchen sink cabinet by moving the lower cabinet door such that it will clear the slide when it is in. This will give us access to our pan drawer. Later I’ll add a spacer in the middle of the cabinet doors to fill the 1.25 inch space that exists after the relocation. Breakfast sandwiches from the RV park snack bar. A chili size for lunch. Chicken and gravy on toast.

Monday: (07/15) We returned to the Mark Twain Museum where Dawn had an appointment to look at their archives. Lou and I mailed some boxes and explored downtown and went shopping/looking. We accidentally ended up at the shopping center where the Far East restaurant was located near noon, Such good fortune. After lunch we returned to the museum to meet Dawn and we all went next door to the Harriet Beecher Stowe House. It was more of an author tour than a house tour but quite interesting. We then looked at a few thrift stores and did some grocery shopping before heading home. Granola for breakfast. Lunch at the Far East Buffet again. Lou made some sauerkraut with potatoes and sausages in the slow cooker for dinner..

Tuesday: (07/16) We slowly got away this morning. I spent some time finding a campsite near Cape Cod. Then we drove down to Gillette Castle State Park. Real nice. William Gillette was not related to the razor folks. He was a famous actor that adapted the Sherlock Holmes Novel into a play. In doing so, he dressed Holmes in his famous hat and coat and added the pipe and hypodermic use. He also created the line “its elementary Doctor Watson.” He was also a tinkerer and inventor. His castle was very interesting because he disliked metal showing so the latches and light switches and almost everything was made of wood inside his stone castle. We didn’t have time to walk the path of his three mile railroad which is now a trail. I mentioned to Lou that I’d had a toothache for a while and she had me see a dentist. I called for an appointment before we left the park and had an appointment for 1715 today. I may need a root canal but need to see a specialist. I hope to get an appointment that fits our travels. I got an email this afternoon advising my phone protection screens arrived at the Amazon locker near me so we picked them up. Lou fried the leftover sauerkraut potatoes and sausage with eggs for breakfast. Lunch was the park cafe. Mac and cheese with broccoli for dinner.




Wednesday: (07/17) We drove over to Middletown to check on the location of the dentist I’m seeing on Friday. We then went to Bristol, Ct to see the New England Carousel Museum. There are scads of animal figures from carousels and other things related. Even a small carousel to ride. The building also includes the History Of Fire Museum and a Greek Museum. The fire museum is very interesting as well. The Greek museum wasn’t much, yet. Granola for breakfast. Lunch at the Monterey Mexican Restaurant in Bristol, Ct. Dinner at a shopping mall in Meridan, Ct on the way home.





Thursday: (07/18) Granola and avocado with sausage for breakfast. We extended our stay here at Nelson’s RV Park but had to change from site B6 to site B2. So I decided to dump our holding tanks and fill our LPG tank when I moved. The LPG fill didn’t go well. The safety valve in our tank failed open so they had to leave their safety valve on our tank. Get something like that fixed is a problem.. I think I found an RV service site, Freedom RV, in Lebanon, Ct that knew what I was talking about but can’t work on a full tank. I just paid $50 to fill our so it’s to the brim now. We could go by a fire department and bleed it off but I think we’ll just use it up and find someone to fix it then. Won’t be for over a month. I paid $30 for their safety valve so now I’m OK but they need to get another before they can fill another RV. As long as this heat wave remains our only use is the range top, the fridge, and hot water. We could minimise all. Lou and I did the laundry then had guacamole and chips for dinner. After dinner, I drove Dawn to the Mark Twain House and Museum for her writers meeting. I relaxed and computed in the car. (New site GPS: 41.609741, -72.515055)

Friday: (07/19) Granola for breakfast with my anti inflammation pill for the last day. Lou made sausage gravy over toast for the real breakfast. We headed off to Middletown for my dental appointment with the Endodontist. My root is dead so I’m scheduled for a root canal next Tuesday in West Hartford. These Endodontists are real travelers. They seem to work four days and have four offices and work different days at each like musical offices. After the appointment we drove down to Essex to ride the Essex Steam Train and River Boat. But first we had lunch at Porky Pete’s BBQ. The train ride is a real steam train along the Connecticut River with a river boat ride on the river in between the run. Our hot and humid weekend is really a strain. We had spaghetti squash with sausage and onions for dinner.




Saturday: (07/20) Lou made a nice bacon and eggs with potatoes for breakfast. We drove up to Storrs, Connecticut to the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry. There were lots of puppets, some displays on making puppets and a theater. We watched a puppet show about Cinderella, The museum is part of a Barnes and Noble bookstore which is associated with the University of Connecticut. We had lunch at the Dog Lane Cafe in Storrs. We drove around the campus a little and stopped at the Dairy Barn Creamery. It’s part of the University and makes all their own ice creams. Really nice on this hot and humid day. Spaghetti dinner at the RV park.

Sunday: (07/21) Lou and I went shopping for a hose for the gray water s=discharge. This campground has a gray water sump for each site but all black water goes to the park sanitary dump. This nicely allows long showers in the campsite and the black tank can last us a week. However, unlike our previous site, this site needs a longer hose than the 10’ grey water hose I have, I got a 15’ hose so now I have a variety of options. Both were needed here. We also did some grocery shopping. I grabbed some chicken strips for bunch. Dawn made gazpacho soup for dinner. I napped in the afternoon. In the evening I watched some Youtube and installed the protection screen on my phone.

Monday: (07/22) Granola and a banana for breakfast. We had a slow morning but eventually hit the road South toward the beach. On the way, we stopped at my dentist’s office and I scheduled an appointment for the post root canal filling. We then continued down highway 9 to Old Saybrook, We stopped for lunch at the Mystic Market Kitchen. I had a Porketta panini (roast pork with sauteed onions and peppers, and cheese.) We followed the coast by Long Island Sound and stopped at a couple of thrift stores and a couple of antique stores along with a few street walks. Just before we stopped at a Walmart in Guiford we had a deluge of rain. We had to wait a while in the car before we dared to go out in just heavy rain to enter the store. We took Highway 17 to 66 to get hoe and had heavy rain all the way. Earlier in the afternoon the “Severe Storm and Flash Flood warnings” started on our phones and Jeep screen. We were home a little after 2000 and had leftover spaghetti for dinner.

Tuesday: (07/23) A relaxing morning. Granola for breakfast. We had lunch at our favorite Chinese buffet, the Far East Buffet, on our way to my dental appointment. I had a root canal done and we then went shopping on our way home. Leftovers for dinner.

Wednesday: (07/24) We spent the day at home. We decided to leave here and head toward Boston and just return here for my two dental appointments next week. I made the changes to our reservation there at Wompatuck State Park then canceled our stay here for tomorrow evening. Dawn and I then took a swim. We mostly relaxed today except that I dumped the RV tanks and Lou did the laundry. Granola for breakfast. Leftover noodles for lunch. Lou made a chick and chips casserole for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment