Thursday, June 26, 2008

Decisions, Decisions!

It's been a few days since I last made a post, as seems usual when we're at home.

Monday: (06/23) Dawn started helping at a summer school class at Gunn HS. It's a special education class.
I worked on cleaning out the shop. Only one major accident as I dropped a rolling tool chest on myself. Fortunately just a skinned knee. Lou's been relaxing and working on her sewing todo list.

Tuesday: (06/24) Lou and Dawn went over to Pleasanton for a job interview for Dawn. After that they stopped by the Alameda County Fair there for a look around. It would be a nice job in a museum there but the transportation needs may be an interesting challenge.

I took off to look at some more houses that the contractor we're considering has completed. these two houses actually did very similar work to our proposed work. Unfortunately they are both fairly long distances form home in opposite directions. One was in Pacifica the other in South San Jose. Both looked very good.

Since I was in the area of Almaden Expressway and Blossom Hill Road in San Jose I tried the King's Buffet, a Chinese buffet. I've been looking for a good Chinese buffet like we enjoy in Bakersfield. So many are OK to so-so. This one is VERY good. I'll definitely put it on the list to visit whenever I'm near by for lunch.

The afternoon was spent moving stuff from the shop to the tent.

Wednesday: (06/25) Decision day. I contacted the folks who were nice enough to give us estimates on the work on the house. We decided on American Home Renewal for our siding and windows. Should make a considerable difference in the looks of the house though it will make it more difficult to direct people to our house. We won't be able to send them to the worst looking house on the street any longer. Our house is already one of the coolest indoors but with the added insulation and the double pane windows even our little cooler won't have to work so hard now.

Dawn helped at her class again today.

We went to lunch at the New Tung Kee Noodle House then did our grocery shopping. We all made the usual rounds of Trader Joe's (specialty items), The Milk Pail (Vegetables), and Safeway (everything else). All this accomplished from one parking spot. If only they were within walking distance of the house.

I cooked up a big pot of my spaghetti for dinner.

Thursday: (06/26) Off to the dentist for me to get my crown installed. Dr Hong had to numb me up again to make some final adjustments but it seems to fit well. My mouth is just now getting back to normal. It's always most numb long after I departed the dentist's office? Lou had a doctor's appointment about her pain in the ass, I mean hip. She got a shot that should help. Its' kind of a good thing we're hanging around home this summer with all these doctor and dentist visits. Lou's still trying to get her breath back. Our visit to the desert earlier this spring might have been the cause of that problem. All the dust and pollen didn't help, though fortunately it hasn't bothered Dawn and I.

For lunch we walked the two blocks down to our local Jack In The Box. Jack offered us two tacos in exchange for a gas receipt. With gas prices kind of high, getting a couple of $1 tacos for free dropped the cost of that tank of gas by about 16 cents per gallon, about as much as not buying it here in town (currently $4.66). They were even nice enough to accept two receipts so we both got a couple of their not exceptionally great but quite adequate tacos and supplemented those with a drink each so, in actuality it didn't cost Jack much at all.

For dinner I fixed some grilled cheese sandwiches with red peppers. Very good. Nothing like eating healthy.

Friday: (06/27) I built a rack to hold all the plywood and lumber in the shop. It's been piled here and there leaning against the wall in the shop and needs to be free standing now, hence the rack.

Lou had another doctors appointment and so she and Dawn turned it into a shopping trip since they were on the road anyway.
Wilton Before Facelift.JPG
Saturday: (06/28) We met with our contractor and signed up for the facelift work to the house. Do you think it needs a lift? In 6-8 weeks it will look quite different.

I spent most of the day disposing of junk paint and chemicals and cleaning up in the shop.

Lou and Dawn started the day with a list of garage sales to visit. Of course they found something to bring home on the visits.

Dawn fixed some nice corn ice cream for an afternoon treat.

Sunday: (06/29) History repeats. Several years ago, I made a rhubarb pie using an apple pie recipe. I bake pretty nice pies, if I must say so, but that pie left a lot to be desired on the sweetness scale. A couple of days ago we got some nice rhubarb at the vegetable stand for $.99/lb. I baked the pies and tarts this morning and I forgot to put any sugar in the pies. The pie will now be served with individual user sugar bowls. We my even experiment by trying honey? It's a got thing I can't be fired.

Note: This post is being made using a tool I loaded quite a while back but haven't used yet. ScribeFire works with the FoxFire browser allowing one to make posts to blogs more easily from within the browser as well as blogging items seen on the web. I'm hoping it works well and makes my job as poster easier, as all tools should.

No comments:

Post a Comment