Friday, September 20, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers, Microwave Style

Here is a variation on stuffed bell peppers that we haven't tried before. It turned out really well and is pretty quick. Sometimes when we bake them the rice is not always finished cooking when the peppers are well done.

Ingredients:

  • green peppers

  • 7 oz can of mild Herdez Salsa Casera

  • 12 OZ can of V8 juice

  • 2 packages of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice

  • 1/2 lb of hamburger

  • 1/2 lb of pork chorizo


I prepared five peppers by cutting off the cap and removing the core and seeds. Five is the number of bigger peppers we had ripe. They were nicely formed and had big cavities. They also filled the dish I used so they stood up nicely. I started by cooking the peppers in the microwave for about 6 minutes to give them a good start on cooking. While I was doing that I cooked up a 1/2 lb of hamburger and a 1/2 lb pork chorizo in a frying pan. When that was done I added in two packages of ready rice. Normally you just microwave it for 90 seconds but not for this dish. I added the rice to the meat in the pan and poured in a can of V8 juice and about 7 oz of mild Herdez Salsa Casera. I just warmed up the whole concoction in the frying pan and then filled the peppers, topped them with the pepper caps and added the rest of the mixture around the peppers. I then covered the peppers with some plastic wrap and put them in the microwave for 15 minutes or until the peppers are cooked as desired.

The dish turned out perfect, rice and peppers tender, and only took about 30 minutes to prepare.  This experiment turned out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment