Saturday, November 11, 2017

New RV Setup

Saturday: (11/11) I started my RV prep efforts by installing the new 7way trailer light connector on the umbilical cord. Next, I started installing the fuses, shunts, and switches. I cut and crimped lugs on some cables until I ran out of both. More are on order. In the evening we went to a storytelling event. A day of low fiber. I made corned beef hash for breakfast. Ham and cheese sandwich for lunch. Mashed potatoes and chicken for dinner.

Sunday: (11/12) A little grocery shopping run first thing in the morning, after the Sunday morning news shows. At home, I installed the power cables that go from the rear left compartment, where the power enters the RV, to the new mid right compartment where the inverter and batteries are going to be. Lots of crawling around underneath the RV on my nice new crawler. Now waiting for grommets and clamps. The clamps arrived later in the afternoon. Cecilia came by in the afternoon. She’s been back East for a while. She and Dawn took a walk. When they returned I had finished up and we all chatted for a while in the RV/ Hobbs, our neighborhood cat really wanted to join us inside. Yesterday he convinced me he should take a nap in the RV. I had no problem with it but when Lou found out, she quickly convinced her to exit the RV. Leftover corned beef hash for breakfast. A chicken sandwich for lunch. Chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner.

Monday: (11/13) I had an early 0800 dentist appointment to start my day. In addition to cleaning, I had a filling repaired. Fortunately, they can be repaired sometimes now rather than replaced so no painkiller to have to wait to stop numbing and no drooling after the visit. After that, I stopped by the REI in Campbel to browse around while I waited for a noon appointment at Normandin Jeep to have the start/stop feature looked at. It stopped doing that a couple of months ago. It had to stay so they gave me a rental and I returned home. At home, I began installing the cables for the AC power to and from the new inverter. I also got the table saw out and started building the drawer compartments in the bottom of the closets. They will be drawers and leave plenty of space above for clothes. I glued up some pieces before stopping for the day. Today I was fasting for a procedure tomorrow so no meals for me. Lou and Dawn ate out so they wouldn't tempt me.

Tuesday: (11/14) I was up really early to get ready for my procedure. Lou went with me as my driver. She got to do some shopping nearby as she waited. All went well. I finished my procedure about noon. Lou took me to Applebee’s for lunch. I enjoyed a chicken wrap and French onion soup. Lou made beef stroganoff for dinner. Lou’s strawberry shortcake for dessert. Nice to be able to eat again.

Wednesday: (11/15) Lou and I headed off to Normandin Jeep in San Jose to pick up Tigger, our jeep. We stopped for breakfast on the way at the Country Inn in Cupertino. The jeep wasn’t ready yet. In fact, they had trouble locating it. They finally found it, no charge for the “repair”.  They replaced the battery. The error showing on the screen was Start/Stop disabled due to battery charging. This, I told them when I scheduled the appointment. This battery replacement took over two days to complete. We had not turned in our loaner car until we knew our car was ready. We left and stopped at a couple of thrift stores and a restaurant supply store looking for a cutting board for the RV. I noted that the Start/Stop hadn’t worked since we left and the error was still showing on the screen. We returned to the dealer and complained about the fact nothing was fixed. The service adviser said it may take the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) a couple of days to know the battery is OK. Sounds like a story to me but we’ll give it the 48 hours to see. They did replace the battery which, when I checked it when I saw the code at first, was OK. I’m not going to be happy if it doesn’t magically start working. Unfortunately, this problem doesn’t generate any error codes, just the message and disabling the function. At home, Lou made chicken salads for lunch. I worked on the closet shoe drawers. I installed the runners, took measurements and cut out the drawer parts and glued and nailed them together. Leftover beef stroganoff with Brussels sprouts for dinner.

Thursday: (11/16) Heavy rain all day. Busy day though, just not working on the RV. Lou and i visited three Lowes stores. I wanted a couple of more pieces of birch plywood and Lou was looking for carpet for the closet bottom and shoe drawer bottom.  The first Lowe’s only had two 2’x4 sheets left. When i got the other pieces last week, there were a dozen. These two were not the best. We visited the Coleman Avenue Lowes and they only had two sheets as well but they were good. We did have to visit the Brokaw Lowes to finally find the carpet and also find what we needed to know about the new flooring we need for the RV. Finally sucess. We also visited the San Jose City Hall to get a business license which they now require for home rentals. We also visited a couple of restaurant supply stores looking for containers and cutting boards. Still no luck there. Lunch at Super Taqueria. Grocery shopping at Sprouts on the way home. Still raining. When we arrived home we noticed our neighbor’s cars lights were on. It turns out they were not turned on just on. The flashers were on but not flashing and turning on the flashers did nothing. Then we discovered there was about two gallons of water on the floor of the left side of the vehicle, source unknown. Vacuumed that out but couldn’t find a fuse to kill the lights. Ended up disconnecting the battery until tomorrow. Breakfast at Bajis Cafe on the way South. Lunch at Super Taqueria in San Jose. Lou made potato soup for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment