Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Shake, Rattle And Roll

Big Sur Campsite.JPG Big Sur Campsite.JPG
Tuesday: I tinkered in the RV most of the morning leaving Big Sur about 11:30. The weather was a bit cloudy in the direction of the sun but dry and clear otherwise.

River At Big Sur Campground.JPG
The river was flowing nicely. This was about 50 feet from my campsite.
Highway 1 View South at Breakfast.JPG Highway 1 View Down at Breakfast.JPG
I stopped at an overlook along the coast toward Monterey with a beautiful view of the water and rocky shore. I prepared breakfast of pancakes and sausage while I enjoyed the view.

Highway 1 View North at Breakfast.JPG RV's View At Breakfast Site On Highway 1.JPG
Getting in to these pullouts is fairly easy. Getting out when your on the wrong side of the road is a challenge.
Point Lobos.JPG Point Lobos.JPG
Next stop, Point Lobos State Preserve. I parked out by the rocks. There's no beach here but nice looking rocks. There are a lot of seals out on some of the rocks further out in the ocean. I couldn't get a clear picture today since I didn't walk out to the point closest to the colony.

I continued down to Seaside and looked around a while. Lunch/dinner was at the Grande Buffet, a pretty good Chinese buffet in Seaside.

Classic Cars In Monterey.JPG Metropolitan Rambler Car.JPG
I then moved down to the park near Fisherman's Wharf and got out the bike to ride on down to the wharf. I found a classic car show with a very good rock-an-roll band playing. Their version of Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman couldn't be distinguished from the original. almost. I looked and listened. The Nash above is one of my favorite older cars. My uncle Doug once had one.
Morse Miner Woddy Wagon.JPG Fisher Man's Wharf Seals.JPG
The Morse Miner Woody Wagon above is cute. I don't think I'd fit in either of these cars but they are cute. I like the idea of Wood driving a "woody." I also walked out the wharf to see the seals then headed back to the RV as it was getting dark.

At the wharf, I determined that the whales we saw in Pismo beach may have been pigmy killer whales, pigmy north whales or one of a few varieties of dolphin. They had the dorsal fin but were all dark colored, no white? Never will know.

I headed on toward home on Highway 1 to Highway 17 and home. I did some window shopping on the way and at one of the shops in Los Gatos, about 8:05, I felt the earth move, quite a bit, in fact. We had a 5.6 earthquake, the strongest since the 1989 quake. Fortunately, I was off the road, not in the middle of a turn on highway 17. Nothing serious, no damage. I stopped for gas on the way home and arrived home about 9:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment