Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Driver’s License Renewal

Today was "DMV" day, time to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to renew my license. I was required to go to the office to renew it this time after two renewals by mail. I understood that they wanted a new picture and for me to take a test. I scheduled an appointment for today at 10:50. I studied the drivers handbook, worthless piece of junk that it is, so I would get my usual 100%.

A couple of City trucks pulled up out front just before we left. They were using a guided boring rig to pull in new service lines for the new house across the street. I would have loved to stay and watch but I had that darned appointment.

I was going to the Santa Clara office so Dawn came along and shopped nearby while I went to DMV. I arrived at the DMV at 10am. I wasn't sure where the office was and didn't want to miss the appointment because we want to get on the road and a drivers license might be useful. There were two lines, one for appointments and one for those without appointments. The clerk in the non appointment line motioned me over and I said I had an appointment and he gave me a ticket with a number. I was a bit concerned because he was the non appointment clerk and hadn't even concerned himself with any proof that I had an appointment, like my name or a confirmation number. I asked about it and he said it was like Kaiser, you arrive, you get a number and your called. Cute. So much for an appointment system. I looked around for about 5-10 minutes and was called to a window. After a couple of minutes and the payment of the fee, I was sent to another window. They took my picture and gave me a new interim license. No test? Now I know all the information and never get to use it! I was in and out in less than 15 minutes, and left 35 minutes before my appointment time. I don't think their appointment system is worth much. Looks like I could have arrived Monday of Tuesday, said I had an appointment and been through the system in a similar manner? But, why should I be concerned, they were quick and efficient even if the appointment system isn't. I was out before I was even supposed to be there.

We had lunch at the Hometown Buffet nearby, one of my favorite places. Their chicken is my favorite.  Then we returned home.

The City crews were gone, mission accomplished. Darn!

It was time to do laundry. Clean the sheets and pillow cases and fill up the closets with clothes for the trip. Looks like we'll leave tomorrow headed up North to Chico, Ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment