Friday, September 9, 2011

Alcan Highway

Alcan Highway South of Laird Hot Springs Buffalo Caribou
Friday: (09/09) Up early and on the road by 0730. We saw more buffalo and some caribou along the road. We made some good miles before stopping at a wayside for breakfast bout 0930 at a nice viewpoint. While I cleaned the bugs off the windshield, Lou made breakfast burritos.

Beaver Dam Large tree Stump Cut By Beaver
We stopped along the way to marvel at some beaver dams, one was the  longest we've seen.

Beaver Dam Beaver Dam
Unfortunately no beavers to be seen and, though we'd like to, we wont be staying until this evening to see them.

We stopped in Fort Nelson, a very hospitable town. I picked up some information at the Visitor Center and used their wifi to update the blog and check email. I also spent some "enjoyable" time chatting with my banks customer service. They had locked my credit card for the fourth time on this trip even though they know I'm traveling in Alaska and Canada they keep having problems with the fact I use it here? After having to remind them four times during the conversation that no, I can't check my mail at home, and no they can't call me on my home phone, etc. It is really unfortunate that their "fraud' detection system doesn't work as well when I'm at home? It certainly doesn't work when I'm on the road. We eventually got it straightened out and I didn't even raise my voice, this time. Before we left Fort Nelson we stopped across the street from the Visitor Center at the museum where they have a free sanitary dump and good water. Nice town. Before we left we stopped for dinner at the Boston Pizza Restaurant. We shared a personal pizza and some jambalaya pasta. We stopped at Tetsa River Services (a lodge) where they reportedly make good cinnamon rolls. They were out when we were coming up in June but we got a couple this time. They should be good tomorrow morning.

Beaver Lodge BC Giant Beaver
The "city" of Beaverlodge is famous for this giant beaver so we had to stop for a photo.

Lou's tally says we saw 9 caribou, a herd of 40-50 and many single buffalo, and a black bear today.

Suicide Hill Wayside Suicide Hill Warning Sign
We stopped for the night at the Suicide Hill Wayside near Sasquatch Crossing for the night. While we started with no rain and a little sun, we progressed into some occasional rain, then just clouds and later mostly clear sunny skies. I think we are in to warmer weather as we approach the plains. I wonder if the Cassiar Highway opened up?
(GPS:57.20463328,-122.72822617)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment