Sunday, March 16, 2014

Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands

Saturday: (03/15) We did our weekly shopping run to Walmart’s and Sprout’s market first thing in the morning. Lou had two assignments for me to accomplish today. Move the washing machine outside for the season. During good weather it’s outside and waters the lawn. Task two was to clean out the cooler for the coming cooling season. With her tasks accomplished I started my task. Find a good home for all the dirt I’ve been collecting. I moved several big planters over to the slab that will eventually be Lou’s new potting shed. I haven’t gotten to completing that project yet. With the plants out of the way I relocated a bunch of concrete blocks arranged as retaining walls for another raised planter next to the arbor. The blocks aren’t light (200-250 lbs each) and are of varying heights so getting them in place and with a near even top edge took a while. I managed to move most of my spare dirt into it before I had to stop to clean up for our Bluegrass concert tonight and to have dinner. McDonald’s McGriddle sandwich for breakfast. Leftover pizza for lunch. Hamburgers for dinner.



In the evening we attended the Redwood Bluegrass Associates concert in Mountain View. Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands were playing. Laurie Lewis, Tom Rozum, Chad Manning, Patrick Sauber, Sharon Gilchrist made up the group. Excellent show. During the show Laurie mentioned a holiday I’ve heard of before but had forgotten about.  Evidently Silicon Valley has a Holiday on3/14 called Pie Day. I mean Pi Day. I missed celebrating it. Darn. Or are Holidays really just like being retired?

Sunday: (03/16) I made corned beef hash and eggs for breakfast. I was busy in the yard all day. I finished moving my extra dirt into the new raised planter. I also laid some weed fabric in the garden. Lou, Dawn and Ernie have been busy removing the bark and cleaning it. After it was reinstalled on the new fabric we can now ruin the new fabric by planting through it again. This year the garden will be smaller though. I also planted lots of cacti and succulents from the greenhouse in the new raised bed. It looks pretty good having just the right amount of room for my current surplus dirt. I will have more coming when I dig a sump pump pit in San Jose. I’m not sure where I’ll hide that dirt? Lunch was cheese, salami and crackers. Dinner was our St Patrick’s holiday corned beef and cabbage dinner with guests Courtney and Meili. After dinner I loaded up the car for my return to San Jose. I brought all my hiking gear because I haven’t had time to prepare my pack for my test hike starting this coming weekend. I’ll be hiking to Santa Cruz and back from Palo Alto starting either Friday afternoon after my weekly hike with my group or on Saturday morning. Looks like a busy week.



No comments:

Post a Comment