Friday, January 9, 2015

Sanborn and Castle Rock Parks Loop

Friday: (01/09) Lou made nice egg, pastrami and cheese sandwiches for breakfast. I was then off for my regular Friday hike. I picked up Jessica, the host for this hike and we headed off to Sanborn Park in Saratoga to start our hike. This is one of two hikes by the San Jose Midweek Hikers today. the other hike was full and had a waiting list so Jessica prepared this hike, her first as a host. The first hike was a 6-7 mile loop hike at Caste Rock state Park on the South side of the mountains. Jessica's hike started at teh bottom of the mountains in Sanborn park, went up to the top then along the ridge where we then entered Castle Rock SP and looped through much of the same trail as the other hike then returned. All 16 people who had signed up attended. My GPS track says we hiked 13.5 miles with an 1823 elevation change. Overall we climbed 4758 feet and our average speed was 2.13 mph on our 6 hours 32 minutes hike. The track is actually about a half mile longer than the actual hike because I hiked back about 1/4 mile to pickup a sit pad one of my fellow hikers forgot. I thought I could do it more quickly than she could. Here is my track.


Goat Rock 20150109_123739 Monterey Bay Viewed From Goat Rock 20150109_123804
The view from atop Goat Rock  as some of the other hikers descend.  Also a view of Monterey Bay from the rock.

Chris and Miranda On Sanborns San Andreas Trail 20150109_141018 Sanborn Castle Rock 13.5 mile hike Crew 91420841504681
Chris and Miranda headed up the hill. And our hiking group minus one near the finish.

Since both hikes were in the same area, I was lucky enough to meet all the hikers from the other group because I was delayed when i returned to get the sit pad.  Our hiking group is having too much interest with so many hikers needing a good hike. Many of these hikers do a similar hike three or more times a week. I only do the one, most times.

No comments:

Post a Comment