Saturday, August 1, 2015

Last Minute Hike Preparations

Saturday: (08/01) I started the day by not starting the day. Lou was off to our usual Saturday shopping trip by herself and she let me sleep in, until 1100. Amazon has been busy. The replacement batteries for Lou’s scooter arrived yesterday and the replacement remote for our bedroom TV today. This morning I put the new batteries into the case and it is charging as it should. Must have been the shorted battery I suspected. The TV remote was not the one described on Amazon but does control the TV. The remote is different because it is missing the row of buttons needed to control the DVD player in the TV. We’ll live with it because I knew per the vendor reviews that others had similar results. It was cheap and it does allow us to change channels and volume in the upward direction now. I then started my hike preparations. In dong so I looked at my permit and noticed it is invalid for the section I’m headed to. It was only good to Lake Tahoe. I’ll need to call PCTA in the morning to modify it. Guacamole and chips for lunch.

Sunday: (08/02) Lou made a good old fashioned sausage, eggs and potato breakfast. I finished loading my backpack and preparing some resupply boxes. I only prepared four boxes so I’ll be returning home to weigh in with Lou and prepare the rest of the resupply boxes. That way, if I need to come off the trail for some reason, I won’t have too much stuff to get too old to use. Leftovers for lunch. We had Courtney and Cecelia for dinner. They prepared spinach quinoa stuffed mushrooms. Ernie fixed his famous deviled eggs and Lou made a potato salad. It was a send off dinner for me.
Monday: (08/03) Lou and Dawn were off to their exercise class early. I did the last of the pack preparation. I also called the PCTA to try to amend my hiking permit. No one there so I’ll be a scofflaw for a few days. We all went out to a late breakfast at A Good Morning Restaurant. Then i stopped by the UPS store and sent my first resupply off. We also stopped by the market and the bank. Hopefully all hike preparation is complete except my getting to the train station in San Jose on time.
It is still as difficult to get out now as the first time last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment