Tuesday, August 1, 2006

The Flight That Wasn’t

I went by a neighborhood RC plane experts house to have him look over my plane. Carl Tobin has been flying electric radio controlled planes for 25 years and appears to be among the most knowledgeable RC pilots around. My plane was repaired and aligned for flight. The many hard landings have taken their toll. An actuator was replaced along with the adjustments. It was neat looking over the many planes Carl has designed, is building or has built. He always brings a sample from his stable to fly most evenings by our RV campsite in the harbor.
The wind wasn't right in the early afternoon for flying so about 7pm we met at the harbor and attempted to fly my plane. It went up and the engine cut off and it came down. Much like it's previous flight. It did fly straight though. Other pilots came by one of which had an identical Slo-V ParkZone plane as mine. We borrowed his 7 cell battery, mine came with a 6 cell battery, and his transmitter. The flight was the same with the motor cutting off about 100 feet away but the added performance of the 7 cell battery was demonstrated. It appears my receiver is bad so I'll look it over for breakage and or replace it when I can. Flights are cancelled for a while since there aren't any stores along the coast that carry such items. It was all worthwhile with the pointers I received from Carl and the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment