Friday, October 21, 2011

Hillsboro, Oregon At The Fairgrounds

Hillsboro Oregon Washington County Fairplex
Friday: (10/21) We saw the sign for the Washington County Fairgrounds and stopped by to see if we could stay there. We can and are, checking in just as they were closing for the weekend. We'll be staying through Sunday night. There is a light rail station about a block away from our campsite at the fairgrounds so we'll be riding in style in to Portland. One main reason for the Portland Visit is to visit Powell's Bookstore. Dawn has a list of books for us to pickup there. For dinner we had roast chicken with corn, potato salad and some avocado.
(GPS:45.53126948,-122.94985758)

Saturday: (10/22) Apple fritters and sausage for breakfast. We walked over and caught a train to downtown Hillsboro. They had a Farmers market so we inspected all the produce. Hillsiboro is the end of the line Westbound so we caught another train Eastbound stopping in downtown  Portland.

Powells Portland Oregon Bookstore
We walked the few blocks over to Powell's Bookstore. Above is the main entrance to Powell's Bookstore in downtown Portland. Don't let the entrance fool you, the bookstore includes all the buildings on the block and has books on all three floors and in a building across the street. A very nice bookstore. Actually we stopped by Whole Foods for a slice of pizza for lunch before going in to Powell's. Dawn had given us a list of books to try to find. I used their Droid app which told me if they had it in the store and where it was even, guiding me to the shelf with GPS. Even though Powell's Bookstore may be the largest bookstore in existence, finding the books that they had was easy. With that task complete, we walked around the old warehouse district to see what we could see. Some neat shops around there. Along the way, we stopped at Safeway for a second lunch. Chicken and peanut butter cookies. Next we caught a train out to Clackamas and visited the Clackamas Town Center Mall. We shared some bourbon chicken with rice and cabbage for dinner. hopped off the train a couple of times for a look see then returned back home about 10pm. Portland's light rail system is really excellent.

Sunday: (10/23) I had the last apple fritter and sausage and Lou had eggs and sausage for breakfast. We awoke this morning to an almost full parking lot at the fair. They're having a bike rally here today. We did our laundry this morning. Lou made some chow mein for lunch. In the afternoon we took a little drive around the area. For dinner we had leftover chicken with mashed potatoes and broccoli slaw.

Monday: (10/24) For breakfast I had potato pancakes and sausage, Lou had French toast and sausage. Leftovers are handy. I hopped on the blue line train to Beaverton. I had an avocado smoothie with pearls about noon. Then back on the Blue train to Washington Park. I then took the 63 bus down the hill through the park.

Portland Oregon Goose Hollow Pizza Oasis Portland Oregon Goose Hollow Pizza Oasis Pizza Slice
I walked out to Goose Hollow and stopped for a slice of pizza at Pizza Oasis about 2pm. The pizza I chose was titled "Mr Toad's Wild Ride". It consisted of mushroom, artichoke hearts, Romano tomatoes, onions, and fresh garlic. Even though it as a slice of pizza, it was made to order. It took a long time before it was ready so I had a pint of beer while I waited. This all took a bit longer than I planned but the pizza was excellent.

Portland Oregon Goose Hollow Street Art Horse Portland Oregon Goose Hollow Street Art Pigs
On my walk-about in the Goose Hollow area i saw these nice pieces of street art.

I then caught the green train to Chinatown where i took a walk then caught the yellow train. Unfortunately I caught the wrong direction of the train and ended up at the university so I caught the yellow train again headed out to the North end of town  and got off at Killingsworth St. I walked the neighbor hoods but didn't find anything significant. I then caught the #6 bus to Burnside and walked some more. I then caught the #10 bus to 28th Ave and hopped off again for a walk. Along the way i happened upon a film crew doing a night shoot at Washington and 30th Ave. I then caught bus #15 back downtown. I stopped at the Pioneer Place shopping mall for some dinner. It was 7pm and time to eat if I planned to. Then I caught the blue train back home. Lou enjoyed her day of rest.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment