Friday, April 18, 2014

Leaving the Mexico Border, Mile 17.5

(04/18) We were up early for breakfast at the nearby diner. I had my usual country fried steak while Lou and Dawn shared a hungry man breakfast. I thought hikers were supposed to have an appetite but mine wasn’t with me.  I barely finished the steak and some eggs. We gathered our things from the room and were off down the road to Campo, Ca, where the hike begins.

PCT Hike At The Border  _ PCT Hike At the Border  _
There were a couple of other hikers, Eric and Brian, there at the monument as well. After photos I started out with them at 0916, later than planned.

PCT Hike Trail near Campo _ PCT Hike Trail near Campo _
The weather was mild and never got over 85. Those hikers I started with were soon way out of sight. I stopped by a creek, just a trickle, it was 75 degrees. About noon I stopped half way up a hill for lunch. As I lunched, Honey Buzz and Emily passed by. They told me they started about an hour before me just after a group of 15 hikers brought by trail angel Froggy. I stopped for dinner on the ridge above Hauser Creek.

PCT Hike Yucca Flowers  _ PCT Hike First Snake _
Nice scenery along the trail. My first snake is in the photo above right. Not sure what kind it is.

PCT Hike Trail Going Up The Distant Mountain _ PCT Hike Cookware and Spork _
My cooking pot is shown on the right with my spork (spoon/fork). My stove only heats water. I don’t put food in it. The food goes in the pot above and hot water is added. It can be sealed so I can continue to hike while it simmers.

PCT Hike Hauser Creek Campsite_

I made it down to Hauser Creek CG about 1905. I set up camp and got a good rest. Two other hikers were there Owen and Kevin Savage. Honey Buzz and Emily arrived after dark when I was already tucked in my tent.

Check out the posts at http://postholer.com/journal/rss/2080.xml

No comments:

Post a Comment