Thursday, August 21, 2014

PCT Hike, MM 2402 - 2420, Goldmeyer Alternate Trail

Thursday: (08/21) I finished packing my pack. Why is it that it's so hard to fit everything back in it? Nice breakfast at the pancake house here at the Inn. I did make a donation to the hiker box to help. I fianally departed at 1030.  Because of a report of a persistent bear at MM 2419, which would be my likely camp site, and because of a ten mile shortcut avoiding it, I opted to take the Goldmeyer Alternate trail from Snoqualmie. It starts with a good climb up to Snow Lake, a popular day hike judging from all the folks there. From there I took the old PCT trail, now the Rock Creek Trail. It was in poor condition and very steep with lots of narrow overgrown sections and lots of loose rocks on the trail, all factors that slow me down. Once at the bottom of the valley, I entered a dark thick forest. Reminds me of the Harry Potter forest. I stopped in it at Thunder Creek for the night, MM 9.2 0f 25.8 on the Goldmeyer Alternate. SO, effectively I'm at MM 2411.2 or or 2421.5 because since the alternate is 10 miles shorter, I'm actually 16.6 miles from the junction to the PCT where the MM will be 2438. So I'll call it the average MM 2420

image

Ivanhoe Lake, heading down to rejoin the PCT.

image
I had dinner by this nice bridge. Too bad I was on the wrong trail. I backtracked about 1/8 mile to the trail junction where I followed a confusing sign.
image
One of several hard to caspture waterfalls along the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River.

No comments:

Post a Comment