Thursday, August 28, 2014

PCT Hike, MM 2489 – 2505, Sally Ann Lake

Thursday: (08/28) Up at 0530, on the trail at 0720. A really heavy dew last night. Wet tent and drop cloth. While in Skykomish I forgot to get a new gas canister for my stove. It's good for about 12 uses per the manufacturer but that's heating a full pot which I only fill half usually. Anyway, I'll probably run out since I've used it for 14 days already. That means no hot breakfasts just dinners until it's gone. I had sausage and granola bars for breakfasts. Clear skies last night but the sunrise was through a few clouds in the East  which developed into being mostly overcast all day. Actually a good thing with my two climbs today it made it cooler. Met Maddie, a girl from Portland doing this section to Stehekin as well. She was camped about two miles uptrail from me. Somehow I passed her or she me about six times. That's rare because I hike so slowly. She likes to stop and enjoy the trail, unlike the through hikers. She said she wasn't doing 15 mile days. Tonight we both camped at Lake Sally Ann at MM 2504.6. Lots of little fish jumping in the lake in the evening. At lunch I had found a nice lounge rock. A pica stopped by for a visit only a few feet away. You can hear them whistling as you pass the rock piles near the trail. Or is that the marmots?Usually they just scatter as you approach. The scenery is getting better. I even caught sight of our next big mountain Glacier Peak. A 16 mile day.

0503 PCT Hike Washington 1170 0505 PCT Hike Washington 1172
Still some nice flowers out. A view of  Lake Sally on the right.
0507 PCT Hike Washington 1174 0510 PCT Hike Washington 1177
My campsite above the lake. I've noticed these signs before but nevr really checked the destination out. I finally checked and the "Toilet" is a short ways down from the sign near the camp sites. It is a wooden box with a lid. No walls, no screening. Just a nice place to do your business out in the open.  It is more comfortable than squatting.

No comments:

Post a Comment