Monday, August 25, 2014

PCT Hike, MM 2468 - 2476, Skykomish

Monday: (08/25) Up 0630, on trail 0730. Only 8 miles to go today. A couple of climbs then down hill to Highway 2. I was at the highway before 1200. There was a sign on the trail that said that something was open at the ski lodge selling espresso. I stopped in and got an ice cream cone and checked my email while eating it. Then I went to the highway and hitched a ride to Skykomish, about 11 miles West of Stevens Pass where my resupply box was at the Post Office. They had my resupply box but I had also had some new insoles sent from Amazon that were supposed to arrive today, ordered Thursday with two day guaranteed delivery? I got a text message saying it would be delivered today and was out on the truck. I'm actually here a day earlier than planned due to my shortcut/alternate trail. Still, the Post Office slosed at 1545. I had waited a couple of hours relaxing on the lawn waiting buty decided to go at 1500. I checked into the Cascadia Hotel. Nice Room and there is a cafe included. Skykomish is an old railroad town that has seen better days, Beside the hotel there is a deli and a gas/convenience store. My late lunch at the hotel cafe was good but Later I got some great chili at the deli. I should be able to survive here for a couple of days. I need to blog, repair the tent, go through my bag an mail off stuff i haven't used or think i don't need, and get my insoles at the Post Office. Lots to do while relaxing. This hotel is great. There is no laundromat nearby so they take your bag of dirty clothes and return it washed and dried later in the evening all for $5. Wonderful.

image

The Cascadia Hotel in Skykomish, Washington.

Tuesday: (08/26) On the street by 0750. The Post Office and Deli opened at 0800 so I went to the Post Office first. I had gotten a text at 1800 that my package had arrived AT 1526, about 15 minutes after i gave up waiting yesterday. My new insoles feel good. Then I was off to the Sky Deli for breakfast. A nice breakfast burrito, sort of. Sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, cheese, wrapped in a tortilla and then toasted in a panini machine., Really good. I tinkered in my room going through my pack contents. I filled a box to return home with my iceaxe, heavy thermal layer, shoe spikes, trek pole snow cups, my light rain suit, and??. I did come prepared and heavy. I think I might have shed 15 pounds? I lugged this stuff this far but decided to gamble on the weather, not having had any sign of really cold weather. I still do have rain gear.
Lunch at Sky Deli as well, a French Dip sandwich and vanilla shake. In the afternoon I repaired the mouse holes in my tent screen with my repair kit, told you I was prepared. I sewed pieces of screen over the two big holes. I also went through my food and shed some of it to the hiker box here at the hotel.
I had dinner at the hotel, a shredded pork sandwich, corn on the cob, coleslaw and fries. with a vanilla shake. The restaurant only does breakfast and lunch items even though they are open until 1900 except on the weekend when they do dinner items. In the evening I loaded the backpack for departure.
I like the town but there isn't much to do. It's a dead rail town.

No comments:

Post a Comment