Friday, April 24, 2009

CSU Stanislaus, Turlock, Ca

Friday: (04/23) I took the morning off then I did some final preparation to leave. Lou picked Dawn up in Mountain View and stopped by the Hong Kong bakery to pick up breakfast. Lou stayed at home and Dawn and I took off toward Turlock about 1:30. Traffic was messed up on Highway 880 and 580 but eased up after Livermore. I stopped near Ripon to get LPG.

Our Campsite at CSU Stanislaus
We then headed on to California State university, Stanislaus in Turlock, Ca. Dawn had a conference to attend there and I'm the chauffeur. The campus is quite nice. The weather, fortunately, has cooled down and is quite nice as well.

Lou had a doctor's appointment to have her knee looked at this afternoon.

I enjoyed the evening working at the computer and watching TV, Dawn had a good time with here colleagues until late in the evening. We then left the campus a went over to the nearby Walmart RV resort for the night.

Saturday: (04/25) We were up early and I delivered Dawn to the campus for more conference. I then drove across the street to the OSH store parking lot and tinkered on the RV. I needed to fix the dead front TV outlet. The relay died. I also did a little cable management while I was under the dash. I installed eyelets near the drawers that keep sliding open as we go down the road. I can now secure the drawers with small bungee cords.

AJ's cafe and grill.
With a couple of tasks complete, it was time for breakfast. I had spotted a cafe across the street with a bunch of cars out front. That often points to a good local restaurant. The AJ's Cafe and Grill proved to be as good as expected. I had a combo of a couple of eggs, bacon and Swedish pancakes each. Very good. The lunch and dinner menu look good as well but they have short hours on Saturday and Sunday so I'll need to look elsewhere later. Darn.

Lots of nice ponds on campus Great ponds
I took a walk around the CSU Stanislaus campus. Lots of water and grass on the campus.

Pond near student housing. Amphitheater at CSU Stanislaus
Student housing is by a big pond. The amphitheater is quit nice.

Ponds bring fowl. Goose and goslings.
Water brings birds and here are some geese and goslings. They all make walking a little more challenging.

I looked around town some including a visit downtown. Turlock is a nice town not the typical dead valley town. About 3:20pm I was in the mood for lunch/dinner so returned back by the university and had dinner at DeCHINA Buffet on Greer St. The entrance isn't impressive very small in the corner of a strip mall but it is quite large inside and quite nice. The selection wasn't too large. It didn't have a buch of the same food with multiple names like many of these buffets have. Everything they did have was very good. usually if they make a good hot and sour soup then everything else will be good and that was true here. Listen to me, the restaurant reviewer.

When Dawn called to be picked up we were then off toward Ripon. We passed a Tractor Supply Company (TSC) store there across from the Flying J and wanted to visit. We like to look round there. Its a typical farm store like Fisco. Dawn always finds interesting books and magazines there and i like the hardware. I picked up some drip irrigation items i haven't seen elsewhere and an aluminum bar to made new braces for the solar panels. Dawn got a Back Home Magaine much like Mpther Earth Magazine.

Tractor Supply Company campsite
As we checked out we asked if we could spend the night in the lot and they said OK. Just after the store closed the lot became a hot spot of police activity. A pickup was pushed into the parking lot and searched. A second car arrive to assist. Neither officer bothered us and we spent the rest of the night in quite solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment