Monday, June 2, 2014

How Does Our Garden Grow?

(06/02) I took Dawn to an appointment in San Mateo. On the way home we stopped at Whispers restaurant in Belmont for breakfast/lunch. I noticed one of their locations in San Jose and have been meaning to try them out. Pretty good crepes. For dinner we had the usual KFC Monday specials of chicken and corn.

Tuesday: (06/03) I tinkered on the drip watering system fixing plants that weren’t getting enough water. I also got a call from Courtney. She needed to be in San Carlos and was at the train station where the trains weren’t running. Dawn and I picked her up and took her to work. This just happened to be the day the auto transport company was delivering her car to her work location. I took advantage of being in San Carlos to visit REI to pickup some replacement hiking pants to replace the ones I wore out on my hike. Our berries are nearing the end of their production but I did get about 3 quarts which made for some nice berry sundaes for and afternoon snack and for Dawn to made another cobbler. Diced wiener in scrambled eggs for breakfast. Super nachos from our neighboring restaurant, Tacos El Grullense. For dinner hamburgers ala Don.

Wednesday: (06/04) I visited Home Depot and bought some self watering planters for the greenhouse for some vegetables. Now that it has wired doors to keep out the critters, we can have some salad veggies.

Thursday: (06/05) I took Dawn to an Appointment in San Jose this morning. Chorizo and eggs for breakfast. Chopped salads from the Corner Bakery Restaurant for lunch. Spaghetti for dinner.

Friday: (06/06) I had hoped to finally get out on a hike this morning but the ike at Sanborn Park that my hiking group had planned would have taken too long for me to return home by 1230 so I had to cancel my attendance there and plan on a hike next Tuesday.  I was busy with the computer all morning. Lou had an appointment in Santa Clara this afternoon. Lou instructed me on how to make latkes (potato pancakes) served with Italian sausage..  Lunch at the Chinese Buffet in San Jose. Leftovers for dinner.

Saturday: (06/07) I fixed corned beef hash for breakfast then we enjoyed tea in the yard and I started to prepare the garden beds in the greenhouse. I made the mistake of buying potting soil instead of potting mix that the self watering planters require. I returned them to Home Depot and got the correct stuff. We also picked up some seeds. Hot dogs for lunch. Dawn made nice chef's salads for dinner.

Sunday: (06/08) A rather hot day. Our tomato plants have risen to five feet tall, even with my persistent trimming. We aren't going to have 0 foot tall plants this year. They both fell over today and required more substantial staking. I spent much time tinkering with the computer. Leftovers for breakfast. LUU noodles for lunch. Rice, pork chops, and the first tomatoes from our garden.

Monday: (06/09) I did the weekly grocery shopping this morning so I had breakfast at McDonald's in Walmart, my second stop. I had already stopped at the Grocery Outlet before Walmart then to Sprout's Market and finally to the Milk Pail. With everything put away, I returned to tinker at the computer before I chauffeured Dawn to a class in Sunnyvale. It was another hot day so no need to wait for buses in the heat. About 1530 I received my new inReach GPS transceiver. I got it all setup and tested. I need to learn how to use it before I hit the trail again. It provides two text communication via satellites so I'll be able to communicate better. Lou and Dawn had buckwheat cereal for breakfast. Leftovers for lunch. For dinner I stir fried some bok choy and carrots and baked potatoes served with leftover meats pork, chicken and fish.

Tuesday: (06/10) I was off early for a little hike in Saratoga. It was different than most of the hikes with the San Jose Mid Week Hikers in that it was shorter, only five miles, and included lots of street walking and just a little trail hiking. The leader also provided lots of tour guide like info about the city of Saratoga. i had stopped at jack In The Box on the way for my usual hiking breakfast, the Loaded Breakfast Sandwich. I had lnch with the hikers at Aqui's restaurant in Cupertino. I also ran Dawn to an appointment in San Jose in the afternoon. Dawn prepared dinner.

Wednesday: (06/11) Lou had an appointment this morning. In the afternoon I did some gardening. I got some seeds in the greenhouse garden pots and planted beans and peas in the yard. i also relocated a tomato plant in the to a bigger pot in the green house. First i had to modify the pot so it will work better as a self-watering pot. It;s an old model and I made it like the new ones with some soil submerged in the water well at the bottom. A little laundry done as well. I then spent the evening working on this blog adding missing posts and polishing the blog after the move. Granola for breakfast. Lunch at the Hometown Buffet in Santa Clara. Leftovers for dinner.

Thursday: (06/12) I got out for a hike this morning with my group at Stevens Creek County park. It was a nice 6 mile hike up to Maisie's peak overlooking the valley. We were fortunate that it was only about 72 degrees, not hot like many of the previous days. It was nice to be able to get out twice this week onto the trails. Other than the hike I was busy on th computer. Breakfast was at Jack In The Box again. I had lunch again at Aqui's restaurant in Cupertino with the group. A really nice burrito. Dawn made dinner, a stir fried / macaroni dish?

Friday: (06/13) More tinkering at the computer today. I have this website mostly restored but have some work to do on the others that this server was handling. I have to turn off the old server tonight. Granola for breakfast. Lunch from LUU Noodle House, combination chow fun noodles and egg rolls. Ernie and I shared a pizza for dinner while Dawn made chicken soup for Lou and herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment