Monday, October 5, 2009

Raising The Roof

Starting The Shed Framing
Monday: (10/05)I stripped the form from the new shop floor and did the final cleanup. Today was a material gathering day. A couple of trips to Home Depot for lumber, plywood, and siding. I had been thinking of making the frame square metal tubing but we're expecting a big rain storm in a few days and it would probably take a two or three weeks to finish the shop if I used the metal rather that using wood. I hope to finish the building in 2-3 days now.

Lou Cleaning The Fountain
Lou was busy cleaning the fountain. She also finished installing her living patio in the front yard. There was an unplanted flowerbed by our front door and front patio and she filled it in with little brick tiles that have space for grass of in this case a plant like baby tears. She also cleaned the fountains.

The contractor for the city began breaking out the concrete by our gas meter in preparation for replacing the pipe to it. Tomorrow they'll be bring a very big noisy vacuum truck and a high pressure washer to dig it out and start sawing the road  to start making the street rather interesting to navigate. They are using guided boring to install all the new piping.

Ernie returned late tonight from a visit to Las Vegas to work on cleaning out his storage there.

Breakfast was left over Green Chili and cheese omlette, Lunch was the same with cottage cheese and chunky apple sauce. Dinner was baked macaroni and cheese and a broccoli, peanut and bacon salad.

Tuesday: (10/06) Not too productive today. I did get the baseplate for the walls installed and did repair the other adjacent fence. Ernie assisted as needed. Since I removed and reconstructed two sections of the rear fence the dogs assisted as well by being chained up during the repair.

Lou, Dan and Courtney went off to San Jose. Lou had a doll making class, Dawn worked at her internship at the City of San Jose and Courtney collected stuff to finish furnishing her condo.

There was a little added excitement in the afternoon when the gas line contractor ruptured the gas main on the adjacent street causing about five fire trucks, the chief, and ambulance and about a dozen city trucks and cars and a pile of contractor wite shirted big wigs to hang around for a while. I walked over not because I heard the sirens but because there suddenly were no construction workers working on our street. No fire, just preventative actions. It is more exciting than when they break water lines.

Breakfast was the usual egg, cheese dn bologna sandwich. Lunch was Chinese, Dinner was leftover pizza from House of pizza in San Jose which Lou, Dawn and Courtney had for lunch.

I do have some pictures to post but haven't taken the time to process them. Maybe next week if it rains.

Wednesday: (10/07) Ernie and I worked on the building. It required a lot of staring and thinking. We got the wall framing up.

I got a call in the evening that our tenant in San Jose was without hot water due to PGE working on new service lines and the technician wouldn't re-light the water heater because or a rusty vent pipe. My task for tomorrow.

Toast with peanut butter and jelly for breakfast. Lunch was an Angus bacon cheese burger from Mcdonald's.  Steak , spuds, and a green salad for dinner.

Thursday: (10/08) Dawn and I were off to San Jose early. I had to get the hot water heater working. Dawn had a meeting and SJSU. I checked the job for what I needed and went off to the hardware store. I replaced the water heater vent pipe and checked the range burners. All worked well except one very dirty one that takes a long time to start. No problem with the igniter just a very dirty burner. PGE, the utility company, is putting in new gas lines there in San Jose, just like at home. We never knew? They relocated the gas regulator and in doing so, left some of the wood siding damaged, possible mouse access points. I sealed the holes temporarily.   As I finished, Lou called to say that they needed to RV moved at home so I dashed home.

I pulled the RV out and the city utility contractor blasted out the gas service entrance pipe with high pressure water and a 6 inch hose from a huge vacuum truck.

I worked on the shed installing much of the roof.

Dawn and I had breakfast burritos at La Victoria in downtown San Jose. Lunch was cottage cheese and apple sauce. Dinner was Dawn's French onion soup and cheese toast.

Pulling Gas Main Under Street Shed Project Framing
Friday: (10/09) We wasted the morning watching the construction crew bore from in front of our house 450 feet to the corner of El Camino Real. After a laborious morning watching, we had lunch. After lunch, I finished the rafters and sheathing on the shed roof. Lou and Ernie assisted. I finished the afternoon with a trip to Home Depot for roll roofing materials, gutters and flashing for the roof.

Lou fixed Swedish pancakes for breakfast. Lunch was bologna and cheese sandwiches. Ernie took us out to the Boston Market for dinner. Lou Dawn, Courtney and I  had chicken pot pies and some Cesar salad. Ernie had the beef brisket.

Removal Of Big Fountain
Saturday: (10/10) Lou Dawn and Courtney worked on removing the plants from around our big fountain in preparation of removing it and the wooden deck around it. It's all in pretty bad condition.

Ernie and I finished the end wall framing. Lou and I worked on the shop roof getting the felt down and half of the asphalt roll roofing. It's barely warm enough in the afternoon to do the roofing.

Lunch was treats from the Hong Kong Bakery. Pork stickers and egg tart, my favorite. Dinner was BBQ beef ribs, a Waldorf salad, and spaghetti with misthra cheese.

Sunday: (10/11) Lou and I left early and went to the Home Depot in San Carlos. I needed another roll of roofing, some more plywood and some lumber. I also found some leafguard rain gutter covers, something never found in stock before. We stopped for breakfast at Chavez Market in Redwood City on the way home.

Ernie and I got to work on the walls. After it had warmed up some, i got to the roof finishing the roofing except for the trim metal. Now it can rain. Still have to finish the siding installation possibly tomorrow before the rain.

Breakfast at Chavez Market. Lou and I shared a huevos rancheros with chili verde. Lunch was a cheese quesadillo from our nearby Tacos El Grulense. Courtney prepared a nice broccoli bacon quiche and a green salad for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment