Monday, October 19, 2009

Still Not On The Road

Monday: (10/19) I was awoken just before 9am by Ernie saying brunch was ready. I got the hint it was late by his choice of words. Today was predicted as a rain day so I wasn't in a hurry to get up and successfully delayed it.

In the afternoon the sprinkles stopped long enough to get some boards cut for the other shop door before starting again. The bay area had some very sever rain storms passing through. About 5pm we called the dogs inside when one rain cell was reported to be dropping 6.7 inches per hour in Menlo Park, our neighbor to the North and was passing into our town. Fortunately it was just light sprinkles as it passed us.

About 2:30, I moved the RV out of the driveway in anticipation that the contractor would be pulling in our new gas line before they quit for the day but  evidently the guided boring guys were too stressed out and quite before doing ours. They've had a bad time hitting three gas lines, a few water lines and a fiberoptic cable on this project already. We watched as they did one push very close to an existing gas line on top of a sewer line. They could have gotten natural gas either of two ways but all went well.

Lou and Dawn arrived in Reno safely and were busy checking all the thrift stores and visiting a few casinos.

I finally posted the pictures for the past month.

Ernie prepared sauerkrauted fried potatoes with Italian sausage and eggs for breakfast. No need for lunch. Dinner was pork chops, Spanish rice and fresh green beans with bacon.

Tuesday: (10/20) In order to avoid the embarrassment of a brunch awakening two days in a row, I set an alarm. I got up at 7:30 and, after a shower, moved the RV from the driveway. I'd prefer to give them all the room they need to put in the new gas line and, to get the RV out, they can't have removed the traffic plates covering the trench in the middle of the street in front of our driveway. Our cars can squeeze by, the RV can't. Since they didn't get our new lateral gas line in yesterday, stopping only two houses away, I mistakenly thought they would be back today. They weren't. They moved on to other tasks today.

I managed to assemble the second shed door and install a deadbolt lock on it. Ernie and I also trimmed the neighbors tree that wraps around the RV when it's parked. Since the RV was gone, I took advantage of an otherwise wasted move, and trimmed the tree.

Lou and Dawn made it home about 1030 pm. Yhey stoped for dinner at Cabella's Sporting Goods at Boom Town on their way out of Reno.

Breakfast was apple fritters. Lunch was a brunch of a breakfast sandwich ala Ernie. Looked and tasted much like the ones I fix. Dinner was mostly leftovers but Ernie added baked potato disks. Something like very thick potato chips. We managed to polish off left over sauerkrauted pork chops, green beans and bacon,  and Spanish rice.

Wednesday: (10/21) I did only a little tinkering rekeying the lock I installed on the shop yesterday.

Boring In Our New Gas Line It Takes A Big Crew? Ernie Had To Supervise
Other than that it was show time. We all watched the crew pull in our new gas line to the house. I had moved the RV out of the driveway for the past two days but they didn't do the job. Today after lunch they finally showed up and did it but I didn't move the RV. They managed with no spatter and no other damage. It takes a lot of people to do it, evidently. They couldn't have done it without Ernie's supervision (right front of right picture).

I had intended to leave just after noon to go to San Francisco for a computer geek meeting. I was delayed when the boring contractor showed up to do our gas line. I HAD to watch. I ended up catching the 4:11pm train which got me up to SF in time for my meeting. I just usually like some time to look around when I go up.

The AfterMAX meeting at San Francisco State University's downtown campus for a presentation about what happened and was announced at the Adobe MAX Conference recently. This was a combined user group meeting of SilvaFUG North (SF),  SanFlashCisco. and  BAADAUG (which I belong to). There were about 100 of us geeks finding out all about what's coming from Adobe. it was fun!

Lou fixed French toast for breakfast. Lunch was bologna and cheese cold cuts. I was away and had pizza for dinner. At home everyone else had BBQ ribs, macaroni salad and spinach.

Thursday: (10/22) Busy day watching the contractor and cutting and installing trim on the new shop building.

Breakfast was Hong Kong Bakery pork stickers and egg tarts. Dinner was steak, asparagas and Ernie's potato disks again.

Friday: (10/23) Ernie and I cleaned up where the fountain and succulent garden was. We removed all the concrete blocks that supported the barrels and moved most of the sand.

Started the day with breakfast sandwiches. Leftover ribs, macaroni salad, and baked pumpkin for lunch. Dinner at Sweet Tomatoes was even sweeter than we expected. The people ahead of us had printed out several 2 for 1 coupons which we were able to use to reduce our cheap meal to really cheap. Excellent as usual too.

Saturday: (10/24) Lou changed our plans for the day, early. She was cleaning up the kitchen and couldn't get the dishwasher to go. It was dead like it had no power but did. It's in pretty bad condition since it is almost twenty years old. The service panel screws were rusted necessitating a destructive removal of the panel. I determined Lou needed  new dishwasher. We headed out looking for the perfect replacement. Good design and price are hard to find. We can find something to dislike about most units and most of the ones we can live with are too pricy. We eventually narrowed it down a best choice but didn't order it since we couldn't get it until Tuesday and can just let them know on Monday and still get it Tuesday. We'll look around some more tomorrow and Monday to be sure our choice is "perfect."

Breakfast was cereal and diced apples. Lou and I enjoyed lunch at Neal's Coffee Shop in Millbrea. Ernie fixed hamburgers for dinner.

Our Recycled Sand Pile / Dog Bed Plants Waiting For Their New Home
Sunday: (10/25) Ernie worked at processing the sand from the succulent garden filtering out roots and other junk so the sand can be reused as needed later. I moved and staked bricks and concrete blocks that had been removed from the succulent garden and Lou had washed yesterday. Bricks were no problem but the concrete blocks weigh up t0 300 pounds or more and I got carried away and one of them got my back. So, I relaxed the back most of the rest of the day. Good thing most of the work is done.

Brunch was donuts. Dinner was smoked chicken, broccoli. and sweet potatoes (Lou and Dawn) or Ramen noodles (Don and Ernie).

No comments:

Post a Comment