Friday, June 25, 2010

Always Something To Do

Friday: (06/25) Cereal for breakfast. Back to the yard today, just tinkering. Ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch. A visit to Kaiser for some lab work in the afternoon. Dawn fixed some nice vegetable beef soup with corn flour bread.

Saturday: (06/26) Ham, egg and cheese Don McMuffin for breakfast. I spent the working part of my day removing three 8" trees in the neighbors yard. They are weed trees that got out of hand. My little Royobi cordless chainsaw did an amazing job. I have four batteries and recharged and used them a second time to finish removing and then slicing it into firewood sized pieces. While recharging the batteries I got a nice afternoon rest or recharged myself while recharging the batteries. Lou and Dawn were out at the garage and rummage sales. Lunch was leftover soup from last night. Lou fixed sausage and cabbage for dinner. Dawn and I took a walk to Fry's Electronics a few blocks away for our evening walk. It's been 7 months since I last visited them so there was a lot new to examine.

(06/27) Donuts for breakfast. I tinkered potting plans and such most of the morning. Lou fixed stuffed tomatoes for lunch. For dinner we went to Lou's favorite New Tunk Kee Chinese restaurant then stopped by Walmart's where I picked up some new shorts. Even though I didn't have too many opportunities this winter and spring to wear shorts, i did manage to wear out a couple of pair with snags from the brush on the trails.

(06/28) Begals with ham, cheese and eggs for breakfast. Today was moving day. The RV was pretty much emptied out before it went in for service and stayed that way until Lou cleaned the carpet which has been drying for a few days now. Now much of the stuff was put back in, some, that hasn't been used nor needed were not.

Parmesan popcorn for  lunch. I spent some time at the computer as well today.

For dinner Lou fixed fish, a cold rice salad and some cauliflower. After dinner we went to Home Depot for a few things like potting soil, manure and other tidbits. For desert, Lou fried some tortillas with pecans, cinnamon and sugar.

Tuesday: (06/29) Breakfast was popcorn with dried cranberries, yogurt and milk. Today we get a new range delivered to the house in San Jose. I don't like stuff like that installed by the "professionals". They always do such poor work I always do it myself. They  provided a tight delivery time estimate of sometime from noon to 4pm. Obviously the customers time isn't too important to them.

Dawn had to work today so we drove her down then took a walk while we waited. We walked around by the Guadalupe River Park in downtown San Jose. It's coming along and may turn into a nice city park someday. We returned at 11am to remove the old range in preparation for the new ones arrival. While we're not paying them to install it they will haul the old one away if it's ready when they drop off the new one. Saves a $35 disposal fee. While I was off getting lunch, they called and said they would be there in 15 minutes or right about noon. For lunch I had a super burrito and Lou and Dawn had quesadillas from Super Taqueria near Dawn's apartment. I guess we were the first afternoon delivery. The old range was a drop in and thew new one is free standing. We weren't entirely sure how smooth that change would be but it was no problem at all. It slipped right in and looks nice and works sooo much better. With that done we reconnected the old water softener. It reconnected with no leaks until one of the internal tubes broke. Most have died of old age. Being such a cheapskate, I'll try to rebuild it before admitting defeat and getting a new one. The water source has changed in the past couple of years and is now very hard and the softener is now needed again. I decided to clean some of the junk out of the basement there leftover from old projects, mostly a bunch of leftover steel angle iron and tubes from rebuilding the atrium possibly 10 years ago. My time does fly but messes last forever. I loaded the car up and we returned home.

For dinner Lou fixed guacamole dip and chips and some TV dinners. After dinner we emptied the cars and put all the stuff away. Stuff likes to be taken care of. Time to relax and watch NCIS.

Wednesday: (06/30) Lou and I worked in the yard most of the morning. For lunch I fixed chile verde with black beans over bread. Lou picked up Dawn and they went shopping. I tinkered at home fixing a bad sprinkler valve and working at the computer. We had ham sandwiches for dinner.

Thursday: (07/01) Lou and I were off early. I needed to get a couple of tests in preparation for some minor surgery tomorrow morning. An Xray to see if my kidney stones are still hanging around and an EKG that confirmed I do have a heart, contrary to common belief. After that, we stopped at Holder's Country Inn in Cupertino for breakfast. We shared a supreme omelet souffle with Swedish pancakes. Always excellent. After a stop at a thrift store, a hardware store and a couple of nurseries and we were back home. Lou fixed Iranian chicken salad with corn on the cob for dinner. Iranian chicken salad is basically chicken salad with some Tabasco sauce added.

Friday: (07/02) Lou and I were up and off early to the hospital. I was scheduled to arrive at 0730 for surgery to blast apart and remove my kidney stones. They removed the one that's been on the move since we were in Borrego Springs last April. As far as I know all went well. All I remember is seeing the anesthesiologist and then waking up a couple of hours after. I was a bit surprised that it was my throat that hurt the most after the procedures not something on the other end. Anyway, now if I can continue to watch my diet and drink more water maybe I'll be through creating gravel. Also, after a few days I can get back to some real work. I've been delaying starting rebuilding more of our side yard fence by the garden because I didn't want to get only partly completed before having to stop for a while with the dogs in the yard and our neighbor protected only by a temporary fence.

While I was busy, Lou and Dawn went out to breakfast at the Pancake House in Los Altos.  When I got home I enjoyed leftover chili verde and black beans over bread. Dawn made some nice looking potato cheese soup which they enjoyed but I couldn't because I considered the milk and cheese too much of what one of my medications recommended against. So my dinner was leftover cabbage and sausage. Hopefully some is left after a couple of days. Dawn makes very good soups.

Lou baked an apricot pie for an afternoon treat. Nothing like apricots from your own tree.

Saturday: (07/03) Today I fixed a variation on my Don McMuffins for breakfast. I added a thin layer of baked potato between the ham, egg an cheese. Actually the whole thing was glued together with thin slices of cheese between each layer.

My throat feels much better this morning so drinking my gallons of water will be much easier.

Wow! we've been home a month now, there is no shortage of things to do but I don't think we'll let that get in the way of taking a few short trips here and there anyway. When we passed by Mt Lassen and it was still under snow it beckoned us to return later as did several other places.

For lunch Lou fixed a green salad with three bean salad as the dressing. Ernie was in the baking mood so he prepared an apricot cobbler. Our tree is doing pretty good this year.

Lou and Dawn did their usual by visiting a nearby estate sale.

Chicken pot pie and asparagus spears for dinner.

Sunday: (07/04) Happy Fourth Of July. Apricot pie for breakfast under the wisteria arbor. We started the day with the intent to visit an art show at the Cultural Center but we got te date wrong. We stopped by a garage sale on the way back and Dawn found some more books. We then went grocery shopping. Ham and cheese sandwich and cantaloupe for lunch. Dinner was hamburgers and french fries in the yard followed by strawberry blueberry shortcake. Dawn baked the shortcake and the combination was red white and blue. We didn't go to see any of the fireworks shows but enjoyed a campfire in the yard listening to the one at Shoreline Amphitheater and our neighborhood illegal fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment