Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bakersfield Stopover

Sunday: (01/22) We started the day with cereal watching CBS TV's morning shows. This post is being made on my phone. I really prefer a bigger keyboard. My computer's power adapter's cord failed last night so I may be suffering withdrawal pains until remedied.

We tool a short walk out to the beach. The tide was very high and the was lapping on the dune a couple hundred feet further than normal. We watched the waves and ocassional wader.

We finally got on the road about noon. We must have been home too long. We seem to have forgotten a lot. Like remembering to check the gas. We stopped in New Cuyama for a little expensive gas to carry us all the way into Bakersfield. Lou made hamburgers with grilled onions, mushrooms, and cheese for lunch. We arrived in Bakersfield about 4pm.

We decided to go to the Rice Bowl Chinese Restaurant for dinner. The power went out before we ordered and we had to leave. The neighboring Bill Lee's power was also out so we tried the Casa Mexico.They were closed. Next we tried Spencer's. It was closed as well. What luck! We then went to Milt's, a good local truckers restaurant where we finally had dinner. We all has deep pit BBQ dinners.Very good!

Monday: (01/23) PBJ toast for breakfast. I picked up a smoke/CO detector and installed it a Helen's. We awoke to rain which then cleared to blue skies then returned to rain before noon.
We met cousin Judy and Don at the new Golden Corral Buffet for lunch. All very good and too much. We followed lunch with a tour of several thrift stores. In the evening we visited cousin Delynn at the hospital. Dinner was chicken wings.

Tuesday: (01/24) Helen fixed biscuits and gravy for breakfast. While we had a good amount of rain yesterday, today it look like it will be a nice day cloudy but not raining. Lou and Helen went out thrifting and grocery shopping. I went out hunting for a power adapter for my computer. I found a perfect one at a reasonable price at Best Buy. It did cost twice as much ad exact replacements available online but then there is the shipping problem. I also picked up an auxillary battery for my phone so I can use it freely for GPS on hikes. And sitting on a shelf right next to the battery was a cell phone range extender from Wilson Electronics that I'be been looking at. It should allow use of the phone where we camp in Yuma. For lunch I stopped at a Chinese fast food place I spotted next to Best Buy called the Bamboo Cafe. It's a place I'll return to.$5 for a two item combo with rice and chowmein and very good. Lou and Helen had Lou's special ham peppers and onions salad for lunch. Dinner was roast chicken with baked potatoes and cooked carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment