Saturday, July 6, 2013

Cooler Weather And First Garden Produce

Saturday: (07/06) The first task of the day was a trip to dispose of a pile old chemicals stuff and batteries. I tried without success to stop the sprinkler leak to start the day with some frustration. I also started removing a Chinese pine tree that we planed over 20 years ago and i thought would be a nice tree. It was always a pest dropping worthless fruit all summer. Home fried potatoes with bacon and eggs for breakfast. Leftovers for lunch and dinner

Sunday: (07/07)  I finally got my sprinkler valve leak stopped. I also worked at the computer much of the day. Popcorn for breakfast. Leftovers for lunch. My lunch was a bacon and cheese sandwich with home fried potatoes. Chicken lettuce wraps and baked zucchini squash with onions for dinner.

Monday: (07/08) Leftover bacon eggs and potatoes for my breakfast. Lou made gluten free pancakes for Dan and herself. I worked on locating replacement siding for the house in San Jose. I got a quote from a mill in San Rafael and looked up several salvage material shops. Lou and Dawn joined me and we headed up to San Mateo to Whole House Salvage. They had some 4" beveled siding but it had a rounded edge not a square edged as needed. We then headed over to Oakland and visited the Habitat For Humanity surplus materials store. they had some cheap 6" redwood siding with a square edge so I bought some. I'll re-saw it to 4" with a new bevel and it should be better than using new "greener  " wood. We then devolved into a thrift store hunt. Lunch was at a Harry's Haufbrau location in Hayward. Stuffed peppers for me and pastrami for them. Dinner at our usual Monday spot, KFC.We finally made it home about 7PM.

Tuesday: (07/09) I did a little shop cleanup and also cut the 6 inch bevel siding I bought yesterday into 4 inch bevel siding. It isn't as easy as it sounds because the bevel has to be re-sawn in addition to the width. All done now. I also received the paint shaver today. Granola for breakfast. Tuna and cheese sandwiches for lunch. Shepherds pie for dinner.

Chinese pine tree removal
Wednesday:
(07/10) Breakfast at A Good Morning Restaurant. After breakfast I started to remove more of the poor Chinese pine tree. It took a little while to bring it down piece by piece to keep our neighbors windows in tact. Lunch at LUU Noodle House. Pad Thai and egg rolls with smoothies for lunch. Then the real work began, cutting it into tiny pieces so it all fit into about 110 gallons of compost container. Now only the 8 foot high trunk and the stripped bigger branches remain which I'll remove when I get my big chain saw back from San Jose. Pastrami with green beans and French fries for dinner.

Thursday: (07/11) I made scrambled eggs with our first green pepper from the garden, onions, olives, garlic, and hot dogs per Lou's request. I tinkered in the shop much of the morning. Then I went to Los Gatos to the County' Parks office to buy a lifetime Senior Parking Pass. It will pay for itself after a dozen visits or about a year. Next was a trip to San Jose to pick up my big(ger) chain saw. For lunch I stopped by the Hong Kong Bakery for a pork bun and egg tart. In the afternoon Ernie and I trimmed up the tree limbs to firewood sized pieces and I made a few cuts with the bigger chain saw until the bigger saw wasn't big enough. The bigger saw is only a 10" saw, the smaller trim saw is a 6" saw. It looks like it's time for a bigger "bigger" saw.  Dinner was rice with meatloaf and green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment