Thursday, July 17, 2014

On The Road To San Luis Obispo

Thursday: (07/17) Dawn and I had appointments at the dentist and then we were on the road by 1015. We stopped for lunch in Greenfield. Another stop in Paso Robles were I napped while Lou and Dawn visited the thrift and antiques stores downtown. Our next stop was not planned. We were taking Hwy 41 in Atascadero toward Morro Bay when we noticed a person waving and pointing at us. I pulled over and saw a lot of smoke coming from under the RV. I checked and there were no flames, just smoke. Oil was all over everything including the exhaust pipe. Of course there was  no cell signal here. I disconnected the Jeep and determined where we were and returned to Atascadero to call for a tow. Within two hours (1830) we were delivered to a shop in Atascadero where they determined an oil line had come loose from a support and worn a hole in itself. We will have a replacement installed tomorrow morning.

Granola for breakfast. Lunch in Greenfield at the Rancho San Miguel market, a must stop for us. They had a sale on, my favorite, flan. BBQ ribs with avocados and potato salad for dinner.

Friday: (07/18) I fixed chorizo scrambled eggs for breakfast. That caught the interest of the mechanics when they smelled the aroma delivered to them from our kitchen vent.  For lunch Lou made salsa with black beans, corn, and shrimp which we enjoyed with corn chips. I took an early walk around nearby before our parts arrived. Lou and Dawn went out later. We were fortunately right in the middle of a couple of thrift stores. The oil lines for the RV are no longer made and when they were replaced in Las Vegas a few years ago they modified the lines so an original wouldn't work anyway. So some lines were fabricated which added some time to the repair. We were ready to roll by 1430. And we were most pleasantly supplied by the final cost. Just $415. Being a pessimist, I figured it would be twice that. Rather than hookup the Jeep Lou just drove it the 16 miles to the campground. She said she was rather concerned by the smoke coming from the RV as I drove in front of her. I didn't see anything. Fortunately, it burnt off before we got to  the campground. We checked in to our campsite and started relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment