Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Live And Learn

Lou spent the night at Dawn's place, more organizing to be done.

I went out to Cubberly Community Center to do the morning flying. While I was setting up the big plane for its flight, a nice gentleman and his dog came over. He said I might not want to fly there because it was prohibited. His friend got an $87 ticket for doing it a while back. He pointed to a sign down the fence on which the rules of use were posted. One bullet said "Portable barbecues and flying model planes is prohibited. We weren't barbecuing so never read on. We've enjoyed the place about five times previously. Lucky us. There aren't any parks with large open areas where it is allowed in Palo Alto. Too bad! I'll have to contact the city to try and get the prohibition changed. Seems like we arrive in the wake of some inconsiderate users. Electric RC planes aren't noisy , so that shouldn't be a problem. The field is empty during the week every morning , so that shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if there are reasonable people on the Parks Department staff?

I went over to the San Antonio Regional Park and open space in Cupertino. There is a designated flying area there but it's 12 miles away. It's also on a hill top, not good for my underpowered plane when the breeze picks up. There were a lot of very experienced pilots there with some very nice toys. They were fun to watch. I probably won't be able to go there very often because the temptation to get new toys might be too great. I did try to fly mine but the wind just blew it down. Still looking for a good place. When we hit the road, there's no problems in the desert, anywhere.

I stopped by the hardware store for some stuff to relocate the sump pump discharge pipe. It needed to be moved in anticipation of installing the sidewalk on the side yard. Little by little, the project does move on. It's hard to concentrate on work when there's so much nothing to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment