Monday, March 30, 2015

PCT MM256 To MM266, Big Bear City

Monday: (03/30) Mountain Dew and First Up got up at 0430, started a campfire, cooked breakfast and prepared too leave. They were off by 0600. I slept until 0630 packed to leave and was on trail by 0750. I was camped at 7600 feet and it was cold last night and this morning.

PCT MM256 To MM266 1908 PCT Big Bear Teddy Bear Restaurant 0266
As I hiked the last 10 miles to Highway 18 for a hitch to Big Bear the temperature went from the low 30's up to at least the mid 80's. I caught a ride from the fourth car to come by. Debra and Jose were returning from Nevada to Orange County and taking the two lane highways. They took me right to the Post Office. Unfortunately, my resupply package hadn't arrived yet. Not a big deal though because I planned on two nights here. I was trying to figure where to go and how to get there. There are few places to stay and few restaurants in Big Bear City where I had my package sent. I decided to head toward the Hostel, about 8 miles west. They do have a bus between Big Bear City and Big Bear Lake but I just missed one and they run hourly so I started walking. I walked two blocks and Barbara stopped and drove me to the Hostel. Lots of locals very generous with the lifts. Nice location. One block from the Village main street and a slew of good looking restaurants. And the Village Post Office is one block away. Too bad my package was sent to the other PO. It's a wonderful place to be delayed. After a much needed shower, I visited the Teddy Bear Restaurant a block away. Nice dinner but I didn't have room for a slice of their home made pie, until later, that is. I caught up the blog posts.

PCT Big Bear Hostel 0273 PCT Big Bear Hostel 0274
The two houses above are the Hostel. My room is next to the red truck above.

GPS: 34.242905 -116.909487

No comments:

Post a Comment